We strengthen the nonprofit sector in three ways:
we champion, we inform, and we connect.
- Champion: Our distinctive integrated approach to public policy enables us to recognize emerging patterns, identify opportunities and threats of greatest relevance to charitable nonprofits, build on successes throughout the country, and challenge flawed policy proposals with data, experiences, and real-world context. Through direct advocacy, behind-the-scenes action, and our work with mainstream media, we ensure a strong nonprofit presence before the federal government, in state capitals, and at city hall.
- Connect: Our network was created based on the belief that there is safety and power in numbers and more can be accomplished by working together than separately. We convene nonprofits nationwide so they can identify shared challenges, exchange successful strategies and solutions, and amplify their voices to produce positive outcomes.
- Inform: We are the trusted go-to resource about and for the nonprofit sector. We provide timely and practical information that nonprofits and foundations use in their everyday operations. And we illuminate for key stakeholders – from policymakers and journalists to donors and the public – the extent to which the public good depends upon a flourishing nonprofit sector.
“The work of the National Council of Nonprofits is often unsung. They are on the ground in communities through their network, doing some of the toughest advocacy work there is, relentlessly.... NCN always has the pulse of what’s happening for nonprofits in almost any state or region. It’s an incredible superpower.”
–Victoria Vrana, Deputy Director, Philanthropic Partnerships, Global Policy & Advocacy, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
We’re the largest network of nonprofits in North America.
Our network of state associations of nonprofits includes more than 30,000 nonprofit and foundation members from coast to coast. Our unique structure and connections offer us real-world knowledge and up-to-date insights that are unmatched in the sector.
We built the largest network in North American by living our core values. Those values include centering equity in all our work, serving others by listening and leading, and earning trust in everything we do. To illustrate:
- Our resources on Why Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Matter for Nonprofits are viewed by thousands of visitors each month.
- Our research and operational guidance inform nonprofits and policymakers and advance policy solutions addressing the nonprofit workforce shortage crisis.
- Government entities like the Federal Reserve and FEMA seek our guidance on issues concerning nonprofits, just as mainstream media like CBS Radio, CNN, New York Times, Politico, and Wall Street Journal turn to us for reliable information and expert analysis.