The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) provided one of the largest economic relief programs in U.S. history. The law included many updates to COVID relief programs affecting nonprofits.
Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (CSLFRF)
Most importantly to nonprofits, under the American Rescue Plan Act, Congress allocated $350 billion in in Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (CSLFRF) for state, local, Tribal, and territorial governments to use in providing “assistance to households, small businesses, and nonprofits, or to aid impacted industries” (emphasis added). The federal government showed tremendous trust that governments closest to the people and their problems are best positioned to decide the best ways to spend their allocated resources to meet local needs.
CSLFRF funds are allocated separately to states, to counties, to metropolitan cities, and "non-entitlement areas" (local governments typically serving populations of less than 50,000, including cities, towns, townships, and villages). This chart adds those amounts together to show how much funding will flow into each state, and whether Treasury will split the total amount of state funding into two equal payments. The map below shows those totals. (The $20 billion allocated for Tribal governments will be calculated and distributed separately by Treasury.)
Nonprofits (and governments too) have many questions about eligibility, types of programs – loans, grants, in-kind contributions– and processes for building and implementing effective programs. Those questions, and many more, are answered in the new Special Report from the National Council of Nonprofits.
- Strengthening State and Local Economies in Partnership with Nonprofits: Principles, Recommendations, and Models for Investing Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds, National Council of Nonprofits, Updated April 2022.
- COVID-19 Spending, USASpending.gov.
- ARPA State Fiscal Recovery Fund Allocations, National Conference of State Legislatures, updated Sept. 2, 2022.
- Local Government ARPA Investment Tracker, Brookings Institute, Feb. 3, 2022.
State Funding Opportunities and Resources
- Creative Recovery LA, Los Angeles County (application closed February 15)
- ARPA Second Round Funding, County of Fresno (application closed January 4)
- Equity Grant Fund, City of Fort Collins (application closed March 27)
- ARPA Grant Programs, City of Aurora
- ARPA Community Investments, The Guilford Foundation (application opens in June)
- ARPA Nonprofit Toolkit: American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Funds to Municipalities Can Help Nonprofits Serve Their Communities, CT Community Alliance of Nonprofits
- September Press Conference on Nonprofit Funding (23:52), CT Community Nonprofit Alliance, Sept. 23, 2021
- Letter to Gian-Carl Casa - CT Community Nonprofit Alliance, Connecticut Office of Policy and Management, Sept. 23, 2021
- Letter to Gov. Ned Lamont, CT Community Nonprofit Alliance, Sept. 17, 2021
- ARPA Grant Opportunities in Education, Cultural Affairs, and Community, City of Clearwater (application closed February 15)
- ARPA Funding: The What, Where and How of Accessing It (53:22) and slides, Florida Nonprofit Alliance, Sep. 15, 2021
- Cook County’s American Rescue Plan (Cook County)
- American Rescue Plan Act Funds, City of Boise
- Grant Applications, City of Anderson (application closes April 10)
- ARPA Building Opportunities for the Disabled and Elderly, Kansas Department of Commerce (application closed February 27)
- American Rescue Plan Act, Kentucky Nonprofit Network
- A Model ARPA Grant Program, Maryland Nonprofits, Nov. 10, 2021
- Nonprofits and the American Rescue Plan Act (01:16:19), Maryland Nonprofits, Sept. 9, 2021
- ARPA Subrecipient Grant Award Program, City of Medford (application closes April 7)
- ARPA Grant Opportunities (also available in: Spanish, Portuguese, & Khmer), City of Lowell
- Testimony in support of using ARPA funding on the workforce crisis in the human services sector, The Campaign to Strengthen Human Services, Sept. 23, 2021
- Nonprofit Relief Fund, Michigan Nonprofit Association (application closes May 5)
- ARPA Community Grant Program, City of Flint (application closed March 24)
- Michigan Nonprofit Association to help oversee $50 million relief grant program
- How Nonprofits Can Access ARPA Funding, Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- One Stop ARPA Resources, Missouri Department of Economic Development (information will be released in April)
- Collaborating with your County Commissioners on ARPA Funding, Montana Nonprofit Association, Feb. 22, 2022.
- One Stop ARPA Resources
- Recommendations to Guide ARPA Funding Distributions by State and Local Governments, Nonprofit Association of the Midlands
- Building Transformational Change Through ARPA, Nonprofit Association of the Midlands, July 26, 2021
- Building Transformational Change Through ARPA, Nonprofit Association of the Midlands, Aug. 3, 2021
- Building Transformational Change Through ARPA, Nonprofit Association of the Midlands, Aug. 11, 2021
- ARPA Community Support, Hillsborough County (application closed March 2)
- American Rescue Plan Act, New Mexico Thrives
- American Rescue Plan Funds: What NC Nonprofits Need to Know (1:00:42) and handouts, North Carolina Center for Nonprofits, Sept. 7, 2021
- ARPA Nonprofit Toolkit, North Dakota Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- Toledo-Lucas County Rescue Plan Grant, City of Toledo and Lucas County (application opens July)
- Nonprofit Sector Connection: Nonprofit News and ARPA Funding (1:00:36), Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits, Sept. 1, 2021
- American Rescue Plan Act Advocacy, Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- PANO Receives $250,000 in ARPA Relief Funds to Support Pennsylvania Nonprofits
- ARPA Small Business Grant, Town of Charlestown (application closes March 31)
- ARPA Support Grants, Rhode Island Foundation (application closed February 15)
- Invest $100M in Work of SC Nonprofits Summary, Together SC
- Together SC ARP Committee Testimony and Proposal, Together SC
- Nonprofit Resource Guide for Local ARPA Funds, CommonGood Vermont
- How Nonprofits Can Access ARPA Funding, Washington Nonprofits
- ARPA Topline Narrative, Washington Nonprofits
- Partnership Stories, Washington Nonprofits
- Recommendations to Guide ARPA Funding Distribution by State and Local Governments, West Virginia Nonprofit Association
- ARPA Topline Narrative, West Virginia Nonprofit Association
- CSLFRF State Funding Opportunities and Resources, National Council of Nonprofits, Dec. 31, 2022.
Final Rule Resources
- Coronavirus State & Local Fiscal Recovery Funds: Overview of the Final Rule, U.S. Department of the Treasury Jan. 6, 2022.
- An Introduction to the Final Rule: Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds, webinar (51:34) and presentation slides, January 2022.
- How Treasury’s Implementation of American Rescue Plan Programs Prioritizes Equity, U.S. Treasury, Apr. 8, 2022.