The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) provided one of the largest economic relief programs in U.S. history. The law included many updates to COVID relief programs affecting nonprofits.
Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (CSLFRF)
Most importantly to nonprofits, under the American Rescue Plan Act, Congress allocated $350 billion in in Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (CSLFRF) for state, local, Tribal, and territorial governments to use in providing “assistance to households, small businesses, and nonprofits, or to aid impacted industries” (emphasis added). The federal government showed tremendous trust that governments closest to the people and their problems are best positioned to decide the best ways to spend their allocated resources to meet local needs.
CSLFRF funds are allocated separately to states, to counties, to metropolitan cities, and "non-entitlement areas" (local governments typically serving populations of less than 50,000, including cities, towns, townships, and villages). This chart adds those amounts together to show how much funding will flow into each state, and whether Treasury will split the total amount of state funding into two equal payments. The map below shows those totals. (The $20 billion allocated for Tribal governments will be calculated and distributed separately by Treasury.)
Nonprofits (and governments too) have many questions about eligibility, types of programs – loans, grants, in-kind contributions– and processes for building and implementing effective programs. Those questions, and many more, are answered in the new Special Report from the National Council of Nonprofits.
- Strengthening State and Local Economies in Partnership with Nonprofits: Principles, Recommendations, and Models for Investing Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds, National Council of Nonprofits, Updated April 2022.
State Funding Opportunities and Resources
- Application Open: Training Fund - Provider Grant, Colorado Department of Health Care Policy and Financing (available on a rolling basis through May 31, 2024)
- ARPA Grant Programs, City of Aurora
- ARPA Nonprofit Toolkit: American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Funds to Municipalities Can Help Nonprofits Serve Their Communities, CT Community Alliance of Nonprofits
- ARPA Funding: The What, Where and How of Accessing It (53:22) and slides, Florida Nonprofit Alliance, Sep. 15, 2021
- American Rescue Plan Act Funds, City of Boise
- Application Open: ARPA Funds Grant Application, City of Warsaw (closes October 31, 2024)
- American Rescue Plan Act, Kentucky Nonprofit Network
- Application Open: 2024 ARPA Community Grant Program, City of Baltimore (closes December 18)
Service Provider Assistance Grant Program, Baltimore County (not available yet)
- A Model ARPA Grant Program, Maryland Nonprofits, Nov. 10, 2021
- Nonprofits and the American Rescue Plan Act (01:16:19), Maryland Nonprofits, Sept. 9, 2021
- ARPA Grant Opportunities (also available in: Spanish, Portuguese, & Khmer), City of Lowell
- Testimony in support of using ARPA funding on the workforce crisis in the human services sector, The Campaign to Strengthen Human Services, Sept. 23, 2021
- Application Open: Michigan Nonprofit Arts and Culture Relief Fund Grant (closes December 13)
- Michigan Nonprofit Association to help oversee $50 million relief grant program
- How Nonprofits Can Access ARPA Funding, Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Collaborating with your County Commissioners on ARPA Funding, Montana Nonprofit Association, Feb. 22, 2022.
- Recommendations to Guide ARPA Funding Distributions by State and Local Governments, Nonprofit Association of the Midlands
- American Rescue Plan Act, New Mexico Thrives
Application Open: Nonprofit Recovery Grants, Albany County (closes January 5, 2024)
- American Rescue Plan Funds: What NC Nonprofits Need to Know (1:00:42) and handouts, North Carolina Center for Nonprofits, Sept. 7, 2021
- ARPA Nonprofit Toolkit, North Dakota Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- American Rescue Plan Act Advocacy, Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- Nonprofit Resource Guide for Local ARPA Funds, CommonGood Vermont
- How Nonprofits Can Access ARPA Funding, Nonprofit Association of Washington
- Partnership Stories, Nonprofit Association of Washington
- Recommendations to Guide ARPA Funding Distribution by State and Local Governments, West Virginia Nonprofit Association
- ARPA Topline Narrative, West Virginia Nonprofit Association
- Previous Opportunities
- Nonprofit Recovery Reimbursement Grant, Rockland County, New York (application closed September 15)
- Toledo-Lucas County Rescue Plan Grant, City of Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio (application closed August 7)
- Nonprofit Support Program, City of Sommerville, Massachusetts (application closed July 31)
- Nonprofit Recovery Fund, City of Cambridge, Massachusetts (application closed July 7)
- Nonprofit Mini Grant, City of Malden, Massachusetts, (application closed June 30)
- ARPA Funding Request - Nonprofit, City of New Rochelle, New York (application closed June 30)
- ARPA Grant, City of Gary, Indiana (application closed June 18)
- Nonprofit Services Grant Program, City of Kingston, New York (application closed June 2)
- ARPA Grant Program, Town of Webster, New York (application closed June 1)
- ARPA Subrecipient Grant Award Program, City of Medford, Massachusetts (application closed April 7)
- Pandemic Recovery Grants, City of Kenmore, Washington (application closed May 31)
- Community Grant Program, Clark County, Washington (application closed May 19)
- Nonprofit Relief Fund, Michigan Nonprofit Association (application closed May 5)
- Nonprofit Funding Opportunity, Okaloosa County, Florida (application closed May 5)
- ARPA Grant Program, Sussex County, Delaware (application closed May 1)
- ARPA Grants, City of Dover, Delaware (application closed April 12)
- Grant Applications, City of Anderson, Indiana (application closed April 10)
- Nonprofit Grant Program, Newton County, Georgia (application closed April 28)
- Human Services ARPA Program, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania (application closed April 3)
- ARPA Small Business Grant, Town of Charlestown, Rhode Island (application closed March 31)
- Equity Grant Fund, City of Fort Collins, Colorado (application closed March 27)
- ARPA Community Grant Program, City of Flint, Michigan (application closed March 24)
- ARPA Nonprofit Grant, Upper Darby Township, Pennsylvania (application closed March 24)
- ARPA Nonprofit Grant, Brown County, Wisconsin (application closed March 3)
- ARPA Community Support, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire (application closed March 2)
- ARPA Building Opportunities for the Disabled and Elderly, Kansas Department of Commerce (application closed February 27)
- ARPA Support Grants, Rhode Island Foundation, Rhode Island (application closed February 15)
- ARPA Grant Opportunities in Education, Cultural Affairs, and Community, City of Clearwater, Florida (application closed February 15)
- Creative Recovery LA, Los Angeles County, California (application closed February 15)
- ARPA Second Round Funding, County of Fresno, California (application closed January 4)
- CSLFRF State Funding Opportunities and Resources, National Council of Nonprofits, Dec. 31, 2022.
Final Rule Resources
- Coronavirus State & Local Fiscal Recovery Funds: Overview of the Final Rule, U.S. Department of the Treasury Jan. 6, 2022.
- An Introduction to the Final Rule: Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds, webinar (51:34) and presentation slides, January 2022.
- How Treasury’s Implementation of American Rescue Plan Programs Prioritizes Equity, U.S. Treasury, Apr. 8, 2022.