Most charitable nonprofits rely upon the generosity of donors for some or all of their funding. Consequently, fundraising is an activity of major importance to the charitable nonprofit community. The National Council of Nonprofits does not provide funding or offer assistance with fundraising, however, your state association of nonprofits offers many different opportunities – such as workshops, webinars, peer learning, and even discounts on products and services that are used by charitable nonprofits to fundraise.
Fundraising is a regulated activity
Before your nonprofit solicits donations, learn about:
Fundraising and tax-exempt status
What if your nonprofit is not tax-exempt?
- Consider fiscal sponsorship as a way to raise funds when your organization has not been recognized as tax-exempt by the IRS.
- If your nonprofit receives a percentage of sales through an arrangement with a for-profit business, make sure you understand the implications of cause-related marketing and commercial co-ventures.
- What happens to donors’ contributions when a nonprofit loses its tax-exempt status?
- Unrelated business income and taxes
- Share with your donors nine tips for legal compliance that the IRS wants every taxpayer to know before deducting charitable donations.
- 6 More Fundraising Legal Tips (Nonprofit Law Blog)
- Tips on donating to charitable nonprofits to share with donors (Source: IRS)
- Showing respect for donors (National Council of Nonprofits)
- Saying ‘thank you’ to donors.
- When donors "donate" through charity auctions
- Resources on gift acceptance policies (Nonprofit Law Blog)
- Online fundraising insights and resources (Network for Good)
- Internet and social media solicitation tips (National Association of State Charity Officials)
- Giving USA and the Foundation Center are resources for information about philanthropic giving in the United States.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Foundation directory free search tool for information on private foundations (Foundation Center)
- Building a fundraising plan: Fundraising and Development Toolkit (Texas Commission on the Arts).
- A Consumer’s Guide to Donor Management Systems (Idealware and NTEN)
- How nonprofits can get donated software (TechSoup)
- Fundraising risks (Nonprofit Risk Management Center)